Jack's Diary

The diary of Sergeant Samuel John "Jack" Drew M.M., August 1918 to January 1919.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Over 60, with a son 32 and a daughter 22. Retired on 26 October, 2007, after 37 years with the company. No matter, I've led an interesting life with much travel in Southeast Asia, the Pacific Region, and a little bit of Africa.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Page 2 - August 10th

Saturday Aug 10th dawned clear and bright & luckily we were let sleep until 7am, when we arose & had breakfast & went down to the station to catch the leave bus. At 9am the buses (9 in all) came along & we loaded up & left at 9:15am. After a ride of just over 2 hours we arrived at Querruy & I made tracks for the old camp where I left them on July 23rd & to my surprise I found two or three chaps there cleaning up, so we made dinner and had a good feed. On arrival here, they informed me I was made a Sergt. After settling down for the night we had a little music & then went to bed to try for a good night's rest after the long journey.

(What Jack means by 'had a little music' is, I think, that the other chaps were from the 42nd Btn Band and they played a little music together. Jack would have had his cornet with him, that is for sure.)

Thursday Aug 10th. Back to Brisbane with Mum today; a good drive down from Toowoomba, and the roadside bougainvilleas were a spectacular sight on one stretch of the road. My youngest sister picked Mum up from my place for a few days (and great-granddaughter's birthday) at the Sunshine Coast. Nice to be back home for a few days. Back up 'the hill' on Sunday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home